Candace Delbo’s passion for singing has been a lifelong one which has resulted in an interest in and mastery of many vocal styles…from classical to gospel, from musical theater to doo wop and jazz. She takes particular joy in singing multi-part harmonies, a skill which she developed as a young child while singing in the car with her family and through a lifetime of choral music which makes her perfectly suited to sing the lush harmonies of The New Chordettes, with whom she has toured extensively. She credits her mother, Sally Stair, Mrs. Bell, Mr. Marvin Brown and Mr. George Greb for their early musical influences in her life.
Candace is committed to “paying it forward” so as to guide students of all ages to their own God-given voice and to discover the joys of expressing one’s self through song and performance.
She has been honored in her home town of Ojai, CA by being voted the Rotary Club’s “Ojai Living Treasure” in 2012 for her musical volunteerism in the community, most notably by establishing elementary after school choral programs. Many hundreds of kids have found their voices and developed their talent through Candace’s tutelage.
Candace has directed multiple vocal groups, adult as well as youth ensembles. She has been vocal director for many musical productions at the Ojai Arts Center, including Sound of Music, winning the Four Star Theater Award for best Musical Director. She was the proud director of “The Nanas & Papas”, a musical revue dedicated to Grand-parenting. Currently Candace teaches elementary music at Ojai Valley School.
Candace teaches private voice lessons to singers of all ages. She resides in Ojai with her husband of 49 years, Ken who is a well-known accomplished percussionist. They have 3 children and 3 grandchildren.
Partial list of musical productions
- A Christmas Carol – Vocal Director
- South Pacific – Vocal Director, also performed
- Showboat – Vocal Director
- Music Man – Vocal Director
- Annie – Produced, performed as Grace
- Sound of Music – performed as the baroness
- My Fair Lady – performed various characters
- Sound of Music – Vocal Director, Four Star Theater Award for Best Musical Direction
- You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown – Vocal Director
- Wizard of Oz – Vocal Director
- Fiddler on the Roof – Vocal Director, Four Star Theater Award for Best Musical Direction
- Brigadoon – Assistant Director
- The Aristocats – Assistant Director
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang – Assistant Director
- Hello Dolly – Vocal Director
- Mame – Vocal Director
- Annie Get Your Gun – Vocal Director